This is the gnocchi recipe that I used to use in the Shangri La Hotel in Cairns. My gnocchi there was served with pine nuts, sage, parmesan and a squeeze of lemon.
You can half the amount in the recipe to serve about 5 people but I like to make a heap and then freeze it for the future, as it is a time consuming recipe. The gnocchi freezes up to 3 months and you just need to make sure you dry it out when it’s defrosted with chuck or paper towel if you are pan-frying it.
I love my gnocchi pan-fried but you can also just pop this in any pasta sauce once you have boiled it instead of pan frying if you like it moist in a sauce.
1kg Waxy potatoes (red/desiree)
500gm rock salt
6 egg yolks
420gm SIFTED Plain flour
100gm parmesan (granulated/finely grated)
2 tbs fresh minced or jar minced garlic
1 cup of fresh chopped parsley or sage
Salt and pepper to taste
1.Turn oven to 180 degrees.
2.Place rock salt on oven tray covered in foil and place potatoes on top of salt.
3.Bake potatoes until they are crispy skin and cooked in the middle- about an hour.
4.Mix eggs, herbs, parmesan and Ricotta together.
5.Remove potatoes from the oven.
Half potatoes, scoop out flesh and grate potato or peel potato and grate flesh into a bowl.
6.Mix potato when cool with egg mixture and fold in SIEVED flour.
7.When a dough like consistency forms place on the bench and work dough with added sieved flour if needed.
- Put on a big pan of salted boiling water with a dash of olive oil.
- Divide the dough into long sausage like rolls and cut into little pieces.
- When the gnocchi is cut up drop into pan of boiling water. About 20 pieces at a time. When the gnocchi floats it is cooked! Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a dry chuck or holed tray to drain.
- Once all gnocchi is cooked place in fridge on a tray single layer to chill.
- Store whatever gnocchi you want to save for the freezer in zip lock bags.
- Add gnocchi to whatever pasta sauce you want by folding it through the sauce OR Pan fried gnocchi below:
1.Heat up some butter in a pan till it starts changing colour- do not burn! Add gnocchi, flip and brown till all sides are cooked flipping as you go.
2.Add some pine nuts near the end of cooking, fresh sage, parmesan and prawns!
TIP: Try not to add too much flour BUT always keep your bench lightly floured to prevent it sticking!