Shepard’s pie- serves 8-10
This is a great winter warmer. Tastes even better topped with cheese!
You can make this low carb by using cauliflower mash from my previous recipe instead of potato.
Make a big portion like this and it will freeze up to 3 months!
- 3kg potatoes peeled and chopped in quarters
- 1 bulb garlic minced
- 50 gms butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 leek diced
- 1kg minced lamb
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1L beef stock
- 1 good glug of Worcestershire sauce
- gravy mix or cornflour to thicken
- thyme or parsley
- Salt, pepper
1 Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in a pan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to the boil, turn to simmer, and cook until soft (about 40 minutes).
2 While the potatoes are cooking fry onions, garlic and carrots and cook until tender set this mix aside in a bowl and reheat the pan.
3 Add the mince and fry till brown. Season lots with salt and pepper.
4 Add the onion mix, Worcestershire, herbs, tomato, stock and bring to the boil. When boiling turn to simmer and leave for 1hour to enhance flavours and reduce. Add peas and thicken with gravy mix and pour into an oven tray/dish and set aside.
5 Mash should be cooked now, so drain and mash up potato with butter, milk and salt and pepper.
- Slowly and carefully spoon the mash onto the mince mix with 2 spoons and once it is covered scrape a fork all over.
- Bake at 180 until the top is brown. If you want it brown quicker then turn on the grill but keep a close eye on it!